(2021) Biggest Takeaway by Samuel Hernandez

By: Samuel Hernandez (Casa Romero) 

This summer has been so different from any previous summer breaks. Being 
able to participate and work with Casa Romero while also pushing my limits when it comes to social interaction has been a terrifying but breathtaking journey. Having the privilege to have the title of summer intern and partake in the work that Casa Romero does for our community was amazing and fulfilling. Sensing the community built from within Casa Romero either through the staff, other interns or even the participants has been an astounding experience.


I am very introverted and very shy, so participating in this internship made me 
very nervous and scared to officially start. Due to my lack of communication skills, I was really nervous to jump right into the internship. As I got closer and closer to the start day of my internship I realized that this internship was a perfect opportunity to push myself past these imaginary walls of fear and start the process of becoming the person I want to be. As the summer progressed, I have started to become more and more comfortable with other people that I haven’t met before and doing things I have never done before. For example, being able to mentor and assist children in art club, or participating in my first ever mural was very outside of the box for me but it helped me with getting me out of my comfort zone. 


I was able to overcome these mental setbacks because I was fortunate enough 
to have a supportive staff at Casa Romero. They were able to respect my limits and boundaries while also encouraging me to step out of my own personal bubble. While I was nervous to join Casa Romero’s team due to not having the best artistic abilities, the staff made me feel useful and appreciated throughout the course of my internship. 


This was my first time ever as an intern, and I’m glad that I was able to be a part 
of Casa Romero’s team. I do think I will continue to do art and continue to help my community anyway that I can. This internship was an astounding experience and I hope to do it again next summer.


Comments