(2021) A Day in the Life of Samuel Hernandez

By: Samuel Hernandez (Casa Romero) 

Hi, I’m Samuel Hernandez and I am a summer intern at Casa Romero Renewal 

Center. A little about what I do at Casa Romero is help with its art and music camps. I’m a little bit like a counselor and a mentor to the children who participate in said camps. So far working at Casa Romero has been so uplifting. Being able to work with children and this past week, working on a mural that’s from my community for my community was so fulfilling. While everyday at Casa Romero is different, working there is so fun.

A couple of weeks ago, I was able to help with a mural that is going to be displayed 

outside of Casa Romero. The following is a summary of the last day working on the mural.

9:00am-11:30am

I woke up around 9 am and did all the essentials before leaving. I brushed my teeth, took a shower, made my bed, got dressed and waited for my older brother to take me to Casa Romero. While I waited, I also ate a light breakfast. Once my brother arrived we left and made it to Casa Romero.

11:30am-2:30pm

When I arrived, we waited a couple of minutes for the rest of the participants to arrive. While waiting, I helped set up the space to finish the mural. Once the rest of the participants arrived, we started painting. Since it was the last day, we didn’t have that much to do. The final things that I helped with were the shading of the leaves, the rocks in the dirt, and minor details all over the mural.

2:30pm-3:30pm

After we finished the mural, we screen printed t-shirts to commemorate the end of the Art and Activism camp. I don’t have any pictures of the screen-printing because I wanted to be present in the small commemoration of the finished mural and the community we built while painting the mural. We then ate lunch and everyone went home.

The finished mural3:30pm-5:00pm

Once the rest of the participants left, my fellow intern, supervisor, and I stayed to clean up. We reorganized the paints, cleaned the paint brushes, and washed the canisters where the paints were held. Once we finished cleaning, we admired the mural in it’s completed form. We then left and went home.


Comments