(2021) Career Interview: Bony Plog-Benavides

By: Alanys Morales (Bembe Drum & Dance)

 Career Interview: Bony Plog-Benavides 

by: Alanys Morales 


This following is an interview with Bony Plog-Benavides, a musical director and percussionist in Milwaukee.



What is your job description & what led you to do this job?

Bony: I have a few jobs, I am a traveling music teacher for mps so I teach percussion lessons at many different public schools like high school, middle school, and 3 elementary schools. I teach kids how to read music sheets and it's more oriented towards the band so they play more bells, xylophone, ect. So technically I'm teaching students how to function in a band. Now I also teach for bembe , where this organisation is more of spreading culture like afro-latino culture & its haritiage. I am the percussion teacher. I teach students work with them on Brazil, Columbia, Cuba, Puerto Rico, ect. The ages I teach are around the ages from 6 - to adults. I teach at a university. I give them private lessons or I teach them the techniques of percussion instruments. What led me to do this was , I played drums since I was around 13 - 14. Since those ages that is something I really liked to do, and learn about and obviously teach.



What do you really enjoy doing in percussion?

Bony: I really enjoy the connections I establish with the students when I see that they are finally starting to enjoy themselves, and seeing that they can do things on their own. Obviously we have to learn the technique , where and how to place your hand , and how to make a specific sound. When they realize that they can do that on their own and they have it down, I like seeing how happy and surprised they get  in their faces. When I end up being able to play with them is usually the highlight of any day or any lessons.


What do you dislike while doing percussion?

Bony: There is something for instant my work with mps, there are some schools that don't have the space. When you're in the arts there are some people that don't understand what we need to do, the instrument we need, & the space that we need. Everyone loves drumming but they don't know the setup, not understanding that we are going to be loud. Whenever I'm working with mps, someone comes and tells us to keep it down but they don't understand we are playing drums and it will be loud. With bembe and the university is different they understand I'm teaching students and they are here to learn. It just depends where I'm working honestly.


What motivates you to keep going with your job?

Bony: I like to see young students finding something that they are good at enjoying at the same time. I'm not pushing to say "oh i'm going to be playing for the rest of my life" but i just wanna look for the moment for where they realize that they know they can do it and that they are having fun. I see that they gain the confidence of what they are capable of doing and that makes me happy to know that they are learning something new. If that makes their day or feel better about themself theni will keep going because there are probably more students I can help.


What skills do you think it's important for someone to do a career like yours?

Bony: They have to be willing to be a student forever because you are learning everyday and that you don't know it all. The times that you say I know that is the time you say "I need to learn more or go into it more read outside the box". They need to have the motivation to keep going to keep learning, not have the mentality to just learn one thing and give up. Have to remember to refresh things and study more. That's very important, practice and dedication. It's sad to know that technology has been taking over because you can search a question up and there pops up your answer but in music you can't do that. You need time to develop your skills. They need patience. Love for music and drummering everything that involves around drumming.


Do you still yourself doing this in a couple more years?

Bony: No I don't, I think I found a good connection and organisation that I'm very passionate about. I can live off of what I do so I will stick to what I do because it gives me good friendships , and good learning experiences. I'm still a student on what I do. 


Comments