(2020) Hello, I’m Erick Watts!

By: Erick Watts (Walker's Point Center for the Arts)

Before I get into the details of my internship let me explain who I am. I was born and raised in MIlwaukee, Wisconsin and I am currently a student at Rufus King High School and I will be going into my senior year this fall. My passion is art and entertainment which is why I am a digital artist who has dabbled in photo and video editing. Although even with experience of the art I create in my free time, my internship I have done with the WPCA is my first technical job. Getting this internship made me nervous but also gave me a new feeling of confidence in my skills.


While no day here is exactly like another, the day is mainly based around attempting to accomplish your goals and just making sure you have some kind of work done. Although this can be a challenge considering how I only work for four hours a day, it is usually about completing goals over a week not just one day.


11:00 AM- 12:00 PM: The internship doesn't start until 1:00 PM and I’m personally a night owl so I wake up a lot later compared to most people. But this is the most routine and least interesting part of my day. I get up, waste a random amount of time sitting on my phone, eat breakfast if I have the time, wash up, get dressed, and then I get a ride to the WPCA with my older cousin. This part of the day is the most basic but it provides stability for the rest of the day.


1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: This is usually when everyone gets to the actual building and when the day really starts. We usually do our morning meetings where we go over everything we have accomplished and what we need to get done. This is also the time where me and the other interns usually take notes and are put on our next assignment. This is also the time where we may do a Google Meet call with our current clients. Although me and the other intern are usually only a part of these calls to take notes and keep up on what's going on.

(These are pictures of our meeting rooms, although now it is more cluttered than usual due to the fact we are setting up for the Youth Art Gallery.)


2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: What happens during these two hours of the day wildly vary depending on what needs to get done at any given point. Sometimes it will be used as time for everyone to develop art for the next big program we will be working on. Other days we may just focus on cleaning up the building's basement or the upstairs art room where the kids would be doing their art if it weren't for the pandemic. Some Days we'll all work separately and work on personal matters. No matter what we're doing this time is almost always used to accomplish previously set goals. Also around three is usually when we take breaks and have lunch but that isn't important.

(The first pictures are of the art room and basement I mentioned that we cleaned out for future use, while the third is a picture of the art gallery were setting up for the Youth Art Show)


4:00 PM - 5:00 PM: This is the end of my day and it's pretty simple. This when we usually end up regrouping and explain what we finished today and what we need to start on next. We also try to finish up anything else we were working on by 4:50 so we can all leave at 5:00. Once I leave I usually use my free time to work on more art or engage in my usual hobbies.


Comments