(2020) Entering the Mind of an Artist: Exclusive

By: Shafarrah Ray (TRUE Skool)


Entering the Mind of an Artist: Exclusive  

This is an interview of Sania, a Philadelphia based artist who does fan art on twitter talks, how art is included in her daily life, what her hopes for the future are and where she draws inspiration from.  

 

A self portrait of Sania done by Sania

                          

 A picture of Sania 

 

                                                    

  

A fan art of Suga of BTS 

 


Is being an artist your main occupation?  

Sania: No, it’s more of a side job. 

Me: If you could, how would you make being an artist your main career?  

Sania: I would love art as a main career but I don't yet believe I am stable enough in the field to do so.  

Me: I understand. Being an artist also requires finding creative ways to make money off art and also enjoy doing the art at the same time.  

 

How has using Twitter as the primary medium to operate affect how you make revenue? What are the pros? What are the cons? 

Sania: So, twitter was not always my go-to medium but since switching I have noticed twitter is a lot more interactive than the other platforms I had been using. Pros for twitter include an easy to work with platform and helps you boost your media. Cons I feel are the more accessible your work is the more likely people are to take it with no credit. 

Me: Have you ever had someone steal your work? 

Sania: So far, I have been graced with no one claiming my work as theirs but I do often run into the problem of people not giving proper credit when they repost my work.  

 

How did you start making art in the first place? I know you draw but what are other forms of art your practice?  

Sania: I have been making art since I can remember it’s practically second nature. I have done painting with watercolor and also dabbled with ceramics and other 3d mediums for a few years. 

 

How do you incorporate art into your daily life? 

Sania: I work for Starbucks and tend to be the one to draw our signs when needed. And I am always creating latte art when I have time.  

 

What do you think about the people who get into the arts primarily hoping to generate revenue?   

Sania: More than anything I think art should be done for oneself and not with the thought of profit. I get you wanna make it big in the field but if you’re not doing something you like just for the money I feel it will become super lackluster. With the thought of revenue as a primary goal, I feel you will eventually grow to hate what you do. 

Me: I think that too. Art is a very broad and wide spectrum not only dancing, singing, painting, and things like that but I also consider hair braiding, cooking, logos, street signs, buildings all to be art and essential in daily life. 

 

What are your main inspirations for doing art? Where do you think you would be without these inspirations to do art?  

Sania: My main inspirations come from people. I love capturing emotions and feelings through artwork and doing portraits/self-portraits helps me encompass that. 

 

Do you use art in your current job? If not, then why not, and if yes do you think that job will be your chosen career?  

Sania: Oh like I stated earlier I am always working to better my latte art. And prior to that, I worked in a bakery decorating cakes. I do not see either of these as being my career path but that is mostly just because I am still currently unsure of what I want to do.  

 

What is your advice to someone my age hoping to make revenue off their art online in this age of technology?

Sania: My advice to people your age and artists, in general, is to just do what you like to do. Others tend to naturally gravitate to people who enjoy their work and make it fun for themselves.  

Me: what mediums do you recommend using for art?  

Sania: I think it depends on the individual and what you are most comfortable working with. 

 

What are some future goals you have for yourself and your art with your growing twitter following?  

Sania: The biggest goal currently is buying a new tablet so I can get back to doing digital art and studies every day as I had been. Until then I have made it a goal to watercolor small pieces to keep my hands active.

Comments