(2020) Career Interview: Nate

By: Stephanie Alvarez (TRUE Skool)

1. can you tell me a bit about your career path and what led you to the role you are in today?

-My career path is currently being a graphic designer but it tends to shift relatively often. I own and manage a clothing brand called Clementine Studios but also do IT for a shoe company helping people who have difficulties walking.

 

2. what were some of your early roles in the field?

-I first was exposed to screen printing and designing clothes when I was 17 and worked at a restaurant that was located in a building that held a screen printing business downtown. From that I gained the basic knowledge of how to print a shirt from start to finish and learned the remedial information needed to make and maintain a brand.

 

 


3. what attracted you to this career path?

-I’ve always been into fashion but when I was a freshman in high school I was exposed to all ways of streetwear, prep wear, athletic wear and so on. From that I followed and kept up with most trends which eventually led into a passion in my adulthood.

 

 4. what skills do you think are most important for someone interested in a job like yours?

-being creative and inventive are the most important traits of being a creative director. Not being afraid of what people’s impression is of the brand, but rather having the brand be a reflection of the artist so people who support it understand it’s not made to appeal to any specific demographic.

 

 5. what do you wish you had known when you were starting out in this career/ role?

-I wish I understood how lucrative and easy it can become once you understand how to make everything in house. Some people choose to outsource making they’re products and it will always make a dent in your production cost and effectiveness. But if you make it yourself you become the source, and you cut out the highest cost of making a product.

 

6. what career advice do you have for someone my age who is interested in a career in the arts?

- always remember that the goal shouldn’t be trying to be the most successful brand. Remember it’s a reflection of you, and once people get attracted to the art your creating they’ll have a interest in what you’re creating.


Comments