(2020) A Day in the Life of an Intern (Covid-19 Edition)

By: Liliana Reyes (UWM Peck School of the Arts)

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be an art intern in the middle of a global pandemic. Join Liliana on her very first summer being an intern under very unusual circumstances.  


Hello my lovely people, I am Liliana Reyes. 


I am an artist and student who was born and raised in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I am currently enrolled at Ronald Reagan Highschool and will be a senior this fall. Through my IB level art course and previous experience with the University of  Wisconsin-Milwaukee I learned about the ArtsECO internship program. When applying for this internship the one thing I knew I  wanted to take away from this experience was making new connections. Being a part of an internship for the first time with new people is nerve racking as it is but when you add in a global pandemic to the mix things get a little tricky.


Being an intern while in the middle of a global pandemic is very difficult. Everyday is a struggle trying to find ways to communicate with our coordinators and fellow interns while also keeping in mind everyone's safety. Only recently did we begin training but I have already experienced quite a bit and learned that not everyday as an intern is quite the same. 


However here’s what my day looked like today (July 9th 2020)!


9:00 AM- On average I wake up at about 9 am, naturally. I do set an alarm just in case I happen to wake up late. On some days I will set an alarm earlier but it depends on what time a zoom meeting is scheduled for that day. Then I get up out of bed and begin my day off right by stretching, and writing my daily affirmations. 


9:30 AM- Considering the current state of the world I don't have to get up, get dressed and drive to work as it is mostly online. So I decided to check on my island in Animal Crossing New Horizons. Very exciting stuff.


10:00 AM- Around 10 am I sat down with my lovely dog and grilled turkey sandwich to check my email and read the agenda for today's zoom meeting. 


I read through my emails while my dog stared at my sandwich. Make sure you remember to eat breakfast!


10:30 AM- My zoom meeting started at 11 am today so around 10:30 I started to get ready, I made sure to brush my teeth, do my hair and put on a clean sweater. The one plus of not having to go to an in person meeting is getting to stay in those nice comfy pajama bottoms. 


 10:55 AM- Normally I will log into my zoom meetings five minutes early because it's always better to be early than to be late. I live by what my 7th grade english teacher said, “to be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late and to be late is unacceptable.”


11:00 AM- NOON - Our zoom meeting started at 11 am and lasted for about an hour. Within this hour everyone introduced themselves with their name, preferred pronouns and one word that described their summer. We then continued with the planned agenda.

A snapshot of the agenda 


12pm-12:20 PM- All of the interns and two of the coordinators gave us time to ask questions about any of the new applications we learned about in the main zoom meeting and reviewed the reflection that was due today. Oftentimes people will ask questions like “Can I download this application on this device,” and almost immediately we will get a helpful response.

12:20 PM - 12:22 PM- Lastly I make sure to log my hours in the group google sheets, and I call it a day. Tomorrow I'll start a similar process just to get used to having daily meetings and making sure i'm prepared for when the ArtsECO program begins.


Logging my hours is very important to remember 


As an intern in the middle of a global pandemic a majority of the issues I have faced were with technology and trying to figure out how to use new applications. Being able to create a nice workspace within my home to learn how to use new applications easily is essential to my success as an ArtsECO intern. So far being a part of this internship program and going through training it has helped me find a new purpose this summer and will give me the opportunity to further my artistic skills. Getting to meet new people and create new experiences despite the circumstances will make this summer one of the best.


Comments